top barhome buttoncontact buttonmembers button
main header

bioJoan Berry BioMagi and John Bish BioSharon Brooks BioWanda Cotton BioPatti Bishop BioDebra Culberson BioRosemarie DAlessandro BioRebecca DeMauro BioMichelle Duffey BioKaren Foster BioDonna Green BioGarry Henning BioVicki Kelly BioDrew & Joyce Kesse BioMary Kozakiewicz BioMark Lunsford BioMary and Doug Lyall BioJanis McCall BioMika Moulton BioColleen Nick BioStacye Pead BioKathy Pichler BioAbby Potash BioAhmad Rivazfar BioErin Runnion Bio
Elaine Runyan-Simmons BioCarol Ryan BioCynthia and Mark Sconce Bios
Dawn Semmler BioJayann Sepich BioHilary Sessions Bio
Ed Smart BioMissey & Greg Smith BioGay Smither BioBetty Stringfellow BioKathy Teague BioLinda Walker BioMaggie Zingman Biogreensliver

join parents
SPC Hot Topics
get involved
Adam Walsh Act
DNA Legislation
Protect Act
Law Enforcement

bottom footer

Join our email





Betty Stringfellow
Sherry Lynn Marler
Betty Stringfellow
Sherry Lynn Marler

It was June 6, 1984 and I worked as a waitress at the Waffle House in Greenville, Alabama. I always had to be at work by 7:00 a.m. One of my husband's aunts was spending the week with us, so Sherry was sleeping on the sofa in the living room that morning. As I opened the door to go to work, she turned over and I thought I had awakened her, but she settled back down and I went on to work. That was the last time I saw or heard from her. Later that morning, my husband had to go into town (we lived about ten miles from town). He told me he was backing out of the driveway when Sherry came running out of the house with her shoes in her hand, wanting to go with him (she went with him wherever he went, if he would let her).

He said when they got to town, he went to the bank to sign some papers, but before he went inside Sherry said she wanted something to drink, so he gave her a dollar to go buy a soda and told her to meet him back at the truck in about fifteen minutes. He went inside the bank to take care of the business he needed to take care of. When he got back to the truck, Sherry wasn't there. He said he waited about fifteen minutes and was mad at first, but when she didn't show up within the next ten minutes he started to really worry that something was wrong. It wasn't like Sherry not to do what she was told to do, so he knew something was very wrong. He called me at work hoping she had decided to come over there to get something to eat. I told him I hadn't seen her and that is when our nightmare began. We haven't seen or heard from her since that day.

My husband died not knowing what happened to her. When he was in the hospital just a few days before he died, he told me, "Betty, I wish I could go get Sherry and bring her home to you, but I can't, because I don't know where she is." He never could get over Sherry being with him when she went missing. I told him all the time it could have happened if she had been with me. It has been a long twenty-five years, but by the grace of the Lord, we made it.